I have to admit that I look forward to the weekend mostly so I can work on more house projects. My favorite is changing out old outlets from the almond-colored and dark brown ones in favor of white. The amount of satisfaction I get from finishing each one makes me wonder if I should have been an electrician instead! Each one takes around a half hour to do, so I’ve just been doing a couple a weekend while I’m waiting for Dave to get ready for the day. Other than that, we’re antsy to start decorating place. Our sofa and bar cabinet should both arrive next week. (Fingers crossed!) We purchased this chair and blanket, which look perfect together in a corner of the living room, and we can pull the chair forward for extra seating when we have guests. We also ordered this light fixture for our entryway. I would have loved this version, but we need to cut costs in a few places so we’ll start with an affordable schoolhouse light and possibly change it out down the road when we’re not spending quite so much. And in less exciting purchases, a new mailbox. The one that came with the house is rusting and simply sitting on the porch, unattached the wall. (Side note: mailboxes are stupidly expensive for what they are.)
- Tips to declutter your kitchen for fall cooking.
- Twenty things you can do to improve your life.
- Architects weigh in on American buildings they wish had never been demolished.
- Has anyone spotted this jacket in stores? It looks way more expensive than $70!
- There’s a lot of controversy over Hillary Clinton’s new book. I loved this Vogue piece on why she doesn’t need to shut up about the loss.
- The Onion perfectly describes what it’s like to shop at T.J. Maxx.
- We all know this dress is destined for my closet.
- I disagree that vertical paneling is making a comeback, but hey, if it makes our office and bedroom seem more modern, I’m in! (Here’s our guide on how to paint wood paneling. It’s way easier that I thought it would be, but you need to spend time prepping the walls first.)
- A classic fit-and-flare tweed dress is the work staple we all need.
- The 12 most fashionable colors for 2018.
- Perfect photos on Instagram don’t create the engagement they used to.
Five Under $50:
- Loose boho-style blouses are my favorite thing to wear with jeans when I’m having a “nothing-to-wear” moment. The embroidery on this one looks so pretty and it’s just $25 this weekend!
- I’m curious about Madewell’s new candle collection, mostly because of the cute jar this one comes in. (Use it to plant a succulent when you’re done with the candle!)
- Refreshing your wardrobe with a new striped long-sleeve t-shirt is always a smart purchase. This one is cute, too!
- I’m hopeless at tying a scarf around my head, which makes this headband appealing.
- This pouch makes me so happy.
Earlier This Week:
- The pieces I’d love to add to my fall wardrobe. (I needed a list so I can stay on track and curb impulse purchases!)
- A selection of housewarming gifts I would have loved to receive.