Sometimes I don’t realize how well my recent purchases coordinate until I put them in this monthly collage! I couldn’t have predicted I’d be on such a neutral kick, but it really gives off an airy, spring vibe that I couldn’t be more ready for!
PURCHASED – FOR ME
See all of this year’s sartorial additions here.
- Jenny Bird ‘Thea’ pendant necklace – Jenny Bird is one of my favorite jewelers, but it’s been awhile since I’ve purchased a piece from her. I’ve been looking for a heftier pendant necklace to wear with v-neck tops and I opted to try this necklace. It has a lovely organic shape and a nice weight to it.
- Soludos classic striped espadrille sandal – When summery espadrilles are on sale for a mere $20, you add-to-cart without a second thought! The black version is also on sale, but in limited sizes. They’re true to size.
- Vince ‘Preston’ sneakers in linen – I wear my other Vince sneakers all the time, so I couldn’t help myself when I found theses at nearly 50% off. I find that they run true to size. They’re definitely stiff right out of the box, but they’re perfect after you break them in.
PURCHASED – FOR HOME
- Cedar & Moss light fixture – The light fixture pictured above is actually the 12-inch design, which is slightly bigger than the 10-inch one we purchased for our office. There wasn’t a preview image of the smaller one in brass with the opal shade, thus the discrepancy. In any case, this fixture is gorgeous! It’s handmade in Portland and the attention to detail and quality is spot on.
- Crate & Barrel grey marble bowl – We stopped by Crate & Barrel when we were in Chicago last weekend. I had been looking for a display bowl to gather Instax printed photos (we have this printer which pairs to your smartphone). This one might actually be a bit too large for what I was picturing, but the bowl was too gorgeous to pass up. If you’re interested in it and near a store, it’s worth stopping in to see them in person as the grey marble varies quite a bit from bowl to bowl. All of them were pretty though and the modern shape is versatile.
DIDN’T WORK OUT
Things I tried and didn’t love.
- Maaji long dress – It’s difficult to tell in the stock image, but there’s a seam mid-thigh on this dress that created an unflattering pooch under the smocked bodice. It would have been so much better on me had the fabric simply flowed away from the top. Other than that, the fabric was nice and seemed like it would hold up well as either a day dress or a swimsuit cover up. I also really liked the halter straps. Runs true to size.
- J.Crew crew neck merino wool boyfriend sweater – I thought this would be the perfect slouchy, go-to sweater to pair with black pants or skinny jeans. It didn’t fill that void for me. It’s great quality and fits like the photo (I went with a size small), but I quickly realized that boyfriend-style sweaters just aren’t my thing. They’re too boxy and make me look larger than I am.
- Banana Republic tiered swing dress – There’s a special place in hell for people who design a loose, swingy dress and then add a fitted lining to the inside.
- Banana Republic marled cable-knit sweater – I love the unique weave of this sweater and the weight was really nice for spring or fall, but it was way too large. I’m not sure if I’ll order it in a smaller size.
- Birkenstock ‘Siena’ big buckle slide – These are really cute from the side, but they look like old-lady shoes from the top and front. I don’t know if it’s a combination of the style with the faded metallic leather because I’ve seen them on others and they’re adorable. Either way, they went back.
When I don’t do these roundups for awhile, they quickly turn into a list of things I recently purchased, things I bought while creating the post, or things I have on my wish list and will probably buy soon enough. Take those Vince sneakers for instance. I have that style in navy and I wear them all of the time. I also have a platform style in that linen fabric. So, when I found the perfect marriage of the two for 44% off, I obviously hit add-to-cart. (They arrive tomorrow.) That sweater? I ordered it as I was creating this post. It’s worth clicking through because it has such a great texture to the knit. And that necklace? It’s a new Jenny Bird piece, so it’s not actually en route to me, but I did buy this one a couple of weeks ago. We can probably just consider this my early spring wish list.
Valentine’s Day is next week and as we inch closer to the romantic holiday, I find myself yearning to wear my heart on my sleeve — or wrist or earlobes as the case may be. However, it can be difficult to find heart-emblazoned items suitable for a 30-something woman that don’t look like they belong in a toddler’s closet. Jenny Bird nailed it this year with earrings that take an organic approach to the heart shape, and I just adore that set of underwear with petite velvet hearts that also comes in pink (bra and panties).
Here are some more heart-print and heart-shape pieces that can be worn throughout the year: