This month was all about adding a few basics that my wardrobe was missing, namely a couple of black sweaters that I’ll undoubtedly reach for throughout the upcoming seasons. I also ordered the Madewell loafers I had wanted since their debut, but my regular size 7 seemed snug. I ordered a half size up to see if that helps and will report back next month. I’m anxiously awaiting their arrival because I think they’ll be adorable with my beloved Leith dress and the cardigan I ordered last night. I’m also seriously considering these Vince sneakers, which are eligible for the Shopbop discount. Everyone seems to rave about them and I would like a pair of slip-ons, especially for travel.
See all of this year’s sartorial additions here.
- Banana Republic merino wool turtleneck in black – I had a black turtleneck sweater from J.Crew that I wore quite a bit in 2016, but it shrunk. I tried to replace it with this BR version last winter, but my size kept selling out before I could snag it. So, I finally bought it — at full price — to avoid disappointment this year. While BR’s other merino sweaters run true to size, I find that this sweater is a bit snug.
- Banana Republic sweater shell in black – I bought the light blue version earlier this year and wore it throughout spring and summer. The black version can be worn on its own, but it’s also great layered over button-down shirts. It runs large.
- J.Crew drapey tie-neck blouse in sky blue – This is such a pretty blouse! Sure, a tie-neck blouse can look a bit stuffy or too much like the secretary archetype, but that isn’t the case with this one. The drape is great and I love the v-neck line and the pintuck details. It looks great tied like it does on the model. Runs true to size.
- J.Crew striped boatneck t-shirt in multi (worn here) – Because my closet obviously needs more stripes.
- Earrings at Moorea Seal – My trip to Seattle overlapped with Kimi’s daylong jaunt to the city. While we didn’t have a chance to meet up, I obviously creeped on her Instagram and decided to add Moorea Seal to my own agenda after seeing her snapshots of the store. In true fashion, I bought jewelry. I mean, did I really travel if I didn’t come home with something for my jewelry box?
DIDN’T WORK OUT
Things I tried and didn’t love.
- J.Crew “Cameron” slim crop pant – I was between sizes in these pants, but even then, the waist was much higher than I’d prefer. I felt dowdy.
- Leith tie-front mini dress – The tie hit me lower than my natural waist, so the top kept bunching up weirdly when it was cinched.