I typically take a boatload of photos while we’re abroad, but I’m not sure I’ve ever taken nearly 2,000 in one week until we visited Lisbon. There were gorgeous vignettes to take in everywhere we turned — and that was largely thanks to the beautiful tile work that adorned even the most modest of buildings. So, I thought I’d kick off my Portugal travel posts with the azulejos of Lisbon.
You may have heard that the #NSale started. 😉 I know it’s difficult not to get sucked into the hype of fall clothes at a pre-season discount, but if you’ve shopped the sale for years, you’ll know it’s basically the same collection of worn-in jeans, neutral ankle boots, and duster sweaters year after year. I did spot a few items that would fill gaps in my closest: a tweed coat in a length I love, a work-appropriate dress in black (and maybe leopard), and this cute faux-wrap sweater. The terrazzo coasters are pretty cute, too. If any of those items remain when the sale opens to the general public, I’ll give it a go since last year’s early-access tip doesn’t work anymore. I’ve purchased fewer things so far this year (thus fewer outfit posts) and it’s been refreshing to make sure that every purchase for my closet or home is intentional and isn’t influenced by a whim.
If you’ve been yearning for a set of vintage-inspired webbed lawn chairs, here you go.
I’m always on the lookout for easy weekday meals and I’m totally making these szechuan noodles with sesame chili oil next week.
I know you’ve seen Antelope Canyon on Instagram. It’s that gorgeous natural formation in Arizona with the red-orange swirls that graces the feed of mega influencers at least once. This is an interesting piece on how the canyon’s rise in Insta-popularity and the accompanying tourism has left a negative influence on the neighboring small town of Page and a Navajo tribe.
It’s an impractical bag shape, but that doesn’t negate how darn cute this mini train case is.
I enjoyed this conversation between influencers Grace Atwood and Krystal Bick for The Atlantic on how they balance their personal life with business.
As some of you know, I’ve become lactose-intolerant as I’ve gotten older. I can usually eat cheese and yogurt without symptoms, but cream and milk? Hard pass. (Lactaid doesn’t do much good.) I usually don’t think about my dietary restrictions until I’m craving ice cream. Surprisingly, I can eat McDonald’s cones and sundaes without incident (which is kind of concerning), but I’ve recently become obsessed with an actual non-dairy ice cream: So Delicious’ cashew caramel cluster. You should try it even if you drink milk.
We breezed through the third season of Stranger Things in just a few days. So. Good. Did you know that the Starcourt Mall where they filmed is an actual dying mall in Georgia and not a sound stage?
Finds Under $50:
- I finally caved and ordered a headband. I figured that the honey color was the perfect low-key way to try the trend.
- This dress is perfect for summer weddings.
- I love these pajama shorts and just placed an order for them along with this cami.
- A single freshwater pearl bead makes for an eye-catching necklace.
- These drawstring shorts come in six colors.
Earlier This Week:
- The items I have my eye on right now. (I’m all about dresses that barely touch the skin with all of this humidity!)
Why, hello! It’s certainly been awhile since I’ve popped in. Things have been so busy lately that I haven’t carved out much time to blog and share what I’ve been up to. I’ve tinkered with a few house projects, spent a lot of time researching future projects and home purchases, started to edit Portugal photos, and enjoyed time with our friends. We even joined a bocce league with them! And while time to disconnect was nice, I found myself missing this space. So, hi! Realistically, I don’t think I’ll ever commit to posting five days a week again (when was the last time I did that?!), but making time to post three-ish times a week is something I’d love to do. I miss sharing what caught my eye with you! And with that, here are your weekend links:
I can’t get over how much I love Emily Henderson’s mountain house powder room. Those tiles!
The American beauty market has reached “peak mask.”
Who knew that the midi-skirt had a bit of a controversial past?
After years of cooking two burgers at a time on a tailgate grill, we’ve finally splurged on one more fitting of homeowners! Online reviews for that model are good and America’s Test Kitchen agrees, so hopefully it lives it up to its reputation! (It comes in such a pretty blue, but we went with black because it had next-day delivery. I’m way too excited about keeping the oven and stove off this weekend to wait.)
I really hate that flip flops are having a resurgence.
Swedish environmentalists have coined a new term: flygskam, which translates to “flight shame.”
This mango slush sounds like the perfect non-alcoholic way to stay cool when you want something other than a cocktail.
I thought Madison would have had a more consistent heat increase after seeing the temperature stripe graphs for other cities. Let’s hope that we can get back to those cooler bars with sustainable efforts. Look for your city here.
Finds Under $50:
- With an extra 50% off sale items, this macrame bag is a summer must.
- I love this sweater tank.
- I saw these string lights at Target today and I’m thinking about going back for them!
- I’ve mentioned it before, but I love Old Navy’s swing dresses. They’re as comfortable as wearing a t-shirt, but they look more pulled together. They’re on special for $8, so I ordered three more in black to have on hand when my first one wears out or fades.
- Snag this blanket for your summer picnics.
Charting the quatrefoil rug’s journey to ubiquity.
This sounds like a lot of work for a cocktail, but I won’t deny that it sounds like it’s worth it. I love gin, rhubarb, and fennel, so it’s right up my alley!
If you loved the beaded tote in this week’s “The Coveted,” here’s a wallet-friendly alternative that comes in under $100.
Seven things that are surprisingly illegal in parts of Europe. (I’m on board with many of these.)
Jacey’s home is serving as major design inspiration.
My latest Instagram love is Leaf & Paw, a feed dedicated to cat-friendly plants.
Cleaning tips from Airbnb hosts.
Finds Under $50:
- I saw this macrame bag at Target last week and I can’t stop thinking about it. The quality seemed good, too!
- These earrings are bold, but the neutral colors make them wearable.
- Such a great summer sundress.
- These brass coasters will develop a beautiful patina over time.
- I love the handles on this colorful tote.
- I’m ordering this book about the history of color in home decor.
Earlier This Week:
- Coveting a ’70s-inspired color palette.
- The jumpsuit I wore in Portugal, along with 12 others I’m loving for summer.