A fall cape can be an intimidating piece to pull off. There’s only a finite amount of time you can wear it before it becomes too cold and you’re going to stand out. It’s a wonderfully impractical statement piece that requires a confidence and thoughtful styling. It’s also a surprisingly versatile item. I put together five looks below, including a casual weekend look, a work-ready ensemble, and a cocktail-ready outfit to prove that a cape can be an autumn essential. But first, a few tips to keep in mind:
- A camel-colored version goes from day to night with ease and will show less lint than a black alternative.
- Long sleeves are a must. Bare arms looks silly with a wool topper.
- Keep proportions in mind. By definition, a cape is wide and you’ll look even wider with oversize pieces.
- Balance the heaviness of the cape with luxe fall fabrics and leather accessories. Think menswear loafers, structured satchels, and cashmere sweaters.
- Generally speaking, a cape requires a hand-held bag, like a satchel or clutch. Ditch the crossbody, unless you’re planning to wear it underneath with the cape open.
- Choose statement earrings, cuffs, cocktail rings, and pretty brooches. No one is going to see your necklace.
I put everything together as one pin here.