This week was an adventure on the home front. You may recall earlier this week when I mentioned that we reached out to our electrician for help with installing our bedroom ceiling fan because the existing electrical box didn’t look like it’d support the weight. As it turns out, we’re missing the required ground wire and installing an appropriate electrical box with a ground came to $320, which doesn’t include the cost of installing the fan and comes with some risk of damaging the drywall. So, I think we’re going to pivot and just go with a light fixture and a vintage-inspired tabletop fan on our dresser. It’s not at all what I wanted, but it’s much more cost effective. Plus, this is our first full summer in the house and there’s a chance we won’t even need a fan with our home’s air conditioning.
Then, as I mentioned on Instagram stories, we had four trees removed because they were all infected with emerald ash borer and were dying. It’s definitely a change! The trees were next to our house and offered a lot of shade in our bedroom and office, so it’s a lot more sunny in those rooms in the morning. On the downside, the fourth tree was next to our deck. I was originally pretty excited to get rid of that one since insects would randomly fall out of it while we’re cocktailing outside (ew), but I didn’t realize how much privacy it added. We’re looking at adding some lattice work to the deck to give ourselves a privacy wall from our neighbor. I’ll take photos and do an update on that as we spiff things up for summer. I’m hoping to get started on that project this weekend (or at least draft up plans and choose paint colors and furniture), along with cleaning up our yard, and possibly adding a flower bed next to the garage.
- A few months ago, Dave suggested that we plan a trip to Japan. It’s not exactly the cheapest place to fly to, so I’m not sure when we’ll actually go, but in the meantime I’m bookmarking travel tips and itineraries like this one for Osaka.
- These white and brass hoops are stunning.
- What you should really do with your tax return.
- Have you switched to the new Gmail yet? Here’s what you can expect.
- Add a lace detail to a pair of pumps with this easy DIY.
- Your burning cheese-related questions are answered! How long can you leave cheese sit out? And, can you just cut mold off cheese and still eat it?
- A comprehensive history of royal wedding gossip.
- Tips for saving money when you don’t have a lot of cash to spare.
- I’m really into these sandals.
- How your favorite retailers curate their playlists.
Finds Under $50:
- These resin earrings are great for work and weekend.
- Satin criss-cross sandals.
- Loving the pattern on this caftan dress.
- My favorite under-$50 dress now comes in navy!
- Still on the lookout for the perfect straw tote? How about this one?
- This tunic-style dress is adorable.
Earlier This Week:
- Wearing my new $32 jumpsuit.
- The chambray dress in this week’s “The Coveted” is topping my wish list.
- Everything I wore in London.