Happy first weekend of the new year! I hope your 2018 is off to a great start, despite the bone-chilling weather sweeping the nation. We have one more holiday gathering today with my dad’s side of the family and then we can finally leave Christmas (and all of those sweets) in the past. Other than that, our weekend should be fairly relaxed. I want to finish up painting the doorframe and closet trim in our office, and we’re hoping to get out for a long walk on Sunday. The temperature is expected to reach the mid-30s, which is 40 degrees warmer than it has been. We can’t miss out on that heat wave!
- Five easy financial goals to accomplish this year.
- Why saying “um” isn’t such a bad thing.
- Madewell’s newest loafer silhouette is gorgeous. I’ll likely purchase a pair in black after my no-shop month is up. Hopefully they’re just as comfortable as these. I’d love a pair of black loafers to bring to London with me.
- I joke that my dream job is to have been a jewel thief, but I don’t think I could ever pull off something as stealthy as this heist in Venice a few days ago.
- How Instagram-famous handbag companies like Cult Gaia created a new formula for success.
- I didn’t think I could love an umbrella stand.
- Kick off the new year on a healthier foot with Bon Appetit’s “Feel Good Food Plan.” The recipes look incredible and a lot more satisfying than some of the dietary restrictions bloggers put themselves through at the beginning of a new year!
- Tips to organize your kitchen this season.
- Did you know that Netflix is filming an updated version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch? Can’t. Wait.
- Closet organization tips for the new year. I’m definitely purchasing some sweater boxes to store knitwear in the off season.
Style Steals Under $50:
- The pearl detail on the sleeves of this blouse is so pretty.
- I usually think that spending $40 on a t-shirt is ridiculous, but I can’t stop thinking about this one after seeing it in person.
- A gingham wrap dress is adorable for spring.
- A striped bell-sleeve sweater.
- Will someone please try this printed dress and let me know if it’s as great as I hope it is?
- Refresh your bathroom with a stylish new bathmat. (I always forget about H&M for housewares.)
Earlier This Week:
January No Shop Update: The first week of my no shopping month wasn’t that difficult. I didn’t leave the house on Jan. 1 and I worked at home on Jan. 2, so I wasn’t tempted by impulse purchases and dining out. I had already purchased groceries for the week’s dinners and work lunches, so we were all squared away there. But, I did buy two non-essential things: a yoga mat and a latte from Starbucks. I’m embarrassed to admit that Tuesday was the first time I’ve exercised since moving in, and I didn’t realize how much wood floors would hurt during a work out! I thought about using a towel for the month so that I could adhere to my self-imposed shopping ban until February rolled around. Dave correctly reminded me that health is essential and I shouldn’t feel guilty about spending $20 to make myself more likely to continue exercising this month. And that latte? I was going stir crazy at work on Thursday and needed to get out in the middle of the afternoon to get fresh air. Had it not been below zero degrees, a walk would have sufficed. Twenty-five days left to go!