I’ve been a terrible blogger lately! I’ve had so much on my mind with our house that I’ve left the blog woefully neglected. I promise that will change after Memorial Day weekend. I have a ton of content ideas that I’m working on and can’t wait to share! I just need to carve out time to actually bring those ideas to fruition.
We had our home inspection on Thursday and I’m feeling a little overwhelmed. Obviously an inspector is hired to point out every little thing that’s wrong in a property — and there’s a lot in an 88-year-old house that’s been neglected for 15 years — but it’s a bit shocking to realize just how much work we’re taking on with this property. The good news is that everything we do to the house will be an improvement, and it is exciting to bring the home back to life and really make it our own. But that needs to happen after we tackle some plumbing and electrical concerns. (I’m not exaggerating when I say a third of the electrical outlets don’t work.) But there are also some more fun maintenance projects like replacing the shattered glass doorknob in the bathroom with a new-to-us vintage one that I’ll be hunting down on eBay this weekend. I also had a floor guy come out to give us a quote on refinishing the hardwood floors throughout the house. His estimate came in $1,500 less than I was prepared to pay. Whoohoo! Anyway, it’s a process! We met with our realtor yesterday afternoon to go over the inspection report and the quote from the electrician to decide what we’re going back to the seller with to repair some of these things. And then, I’m unplugging as much as possible this weekend to give myself a chance to recharge.
- Did you see the Instagrams that Pete Souza posted of “President” Frank Underwood? So. Good. I can’t wait for the May 30 debut of the next season of House of Cards. It’s my birthday, so we all know where you’ll find me that day…
- This dress looks more expensive than it is. I’m debating between white or navy.
- Sure, pretty packaging makes for a great Instagram opportunity, but are we just creating more waste than necessary?
- Are you prone to headaches? Try natural pain relievers before reaching for a bottle of Advil.
- This is totally nerdy, but my favorite post I came across this week was this one on how to change outlets. Our house has a lot of black ones (which I might keep, depending on how they look when the rooms are painted and the floors are done) and outdated almond-colored ones. I’d like to swap them for white.
- This office faux pas is the worst.
- Grace included this jewelry cabinet in her weekend roundup. I’m absolutely obsessed with it! The best thing about our house is the “fourth bedroom,” which is really a walk-in closet in the upstairs hallway. There’s more than enough room for all of my clothes and I’d love to add this cabinet for my jewelry, which you know there’s a lot of!
- Bold stripes make this dress a showstopper!
- Anne’s stylish guide to Washington D.C. makes me want to book a trip to visit again. We’ve been to the city four times and still find plenty to do on each trip.
- Now that it’s finally getting warm out, I’m all about fresh veggies and fruits. I can’t wait to try this avocado and citrus salad.
- This $15 blouse is incredibly chic.
- Ann Taylor: 40% off full-price styles, which makes it a great time to pick up summer work wear.
- ASOS: Save 20% with code LIT20. I bought this dress recently. I love the mixed eyelet patterns.
- Nordstrom: It’s impossible to avoid the Half Yearly Sale hoopla right now, but it is a great time to pick up an indulgent piece you’ll wear for years like a pebbled leather bag, ankle wrap sandals, or a conversation-worthy cocktail ring.
- Lands’ End: 50% off regular priced swimwear with code STARS and pin 1278. I ordered a polka dot bikini to try. I’m hoping the high-waisted, ruched bottoms give me enough coverage to feel confident in a two-piece.
- Loeffler Randall: Up to 30% off spring shoes. These block-heel strappy pumps in gold are perfect for wedding season.
- LOFT: 50% off summer essentials. The dress I’m crushing on isn’t included, but it is available for 40% off with code VACAY. Doesn’t it look perfect for summer getaways?
- Old Navy: If you have a Gap brand credit card, you can snag flip flops for men and women for just $1 with code FLIP. We love having these on hand for trips to the water park, so it’s not a big deal if a stranger accidentally wanders off with the wrong pair.
- West Elm: Up to 30% off with code SUMMER. I have my heart set on buying this for our house. I also love the colors in this throw pillow and these brass candlesticks.