I can’t believe that tomorrow is September 1! Summer just flew by and while I’m not mentally prepared for fall, it seems my wardrobe is starting to veer that way! I’ve been wish listing darker colors and classic wardrobe staples, which started this month with a sweater in the prettiest pumpkin hue and a denim mini skirt. Unsurprisingly, most of my purchases lately have been for the house. West Elm has an incredible Labor Day sale this weekend with tiered discounts based on how much you spend. I seized the opportunity to finally order this bar cabinet. I’ve wanted it for months and I can’t wait to finally own it! I added in a few additional items (this quirky lamp, new stockings for Christmas, and a vintage-inspired garland) to reach the 25% discount threshold.
See all of this year’s sartorial purchases here. I round the prices to the nearest dollar amount and reflect any discounts I applied.
- Ann Taylor ‘Gretel’ suede sandals in brown toffee ($48; worn here): So comfortable right out of the box! I’ve been itching for these all summer and I finally ordered them with a discount. Zero breaking in period necessary and look more expensive than they are. They run true to size, but you’ll want to go up a half size if you’re typically in between. I’m tempted to buy the black pair to keep on hand for next year.
- Old Navy jersey swing dress in black and white stripe ($12): I rarely buy anything from Old Navy, but I came across this dress when I was looking for an inexpensive knit dress that was just as comfortable as pajamas and that I could throw on for impromptu walks around the neighborhood. It’s a swing shape, so it fits true to size in the bust and is forgiving in the midsection and hips.
- Who What Wear varsity bomber jacket ($40; not pictured above): This is so not my usual style, but there was something about it that I loved enough to add to a recent Target order — and I’m so happy I did! The fabric and quality are great and the price point is perfect for a trendy piece. I can’t wait for the temperature to cool so that I can wear it with a casual LBD and sneakers. It runs true to size.
- J.Crew relaxed boatneck sweater in spice ($44): The color of this sweater is perfect for fall! As with most J.Crew sweaters, it runs on the large side. I went with a small. However, if you want the slouchy fit the model has, go with your regular size. (My rule of thumb is that if J.Crew offers a top in a XXX-Small, then I should size down.)
- J.Crew zip-front denim skirt ($60): This denim mini skirt is just the cutest! Honestly, I purchased it to wear with the aforementioned sweater and these loafers when I, hopefully, purchase them next month.
As always, I want to be transparent about what I’ve received from companies for review or as part of a collaboration.
- Garnet Hill linen-cotton crewneck sweater in ecru: This is perfect for cooler summer and early-fall days!
- LOFT floral tiered dress (worn here): I collaborated with Wikibuy to highlight their discount search tools and I was able to select an item from one of the sites they featured so that I could try the site myself. I had tried on this dress in person and already knew I was head-over-heels for it! It’s such a fun dress and runs true to size.
- Bauble Bar ‘Criselda’ drop earrings in turquoise: I actually won these from a giveaway that Grace hosted on her Instagram recently. They’re so pretty in person and they’re incredibly lightweight for all-day wear. I love them so much that I’m planning to snag the black pair soon!
DIDN’T WORK OUT
Things I tried and didn’t love.
- Old Navy tie-shoulder swing dress: This is really cute, but the shoulder ties felt too juvenile in person. If you’re in your early- to mid-20s, go for it! It’s well made for an Old Navy piece and it’s even lined. It runs a size large.
- Banana Republic machine-washable merino boyfriend v-neck sweater in medium gray heather: I’ve actually been on the lookout for a slightly slouchy grey v-neck sweater for a couple of years now. With a few discount codes, the price of this one was too good to pass up! Unfortunately, the fit ended up being sloppy rather than relaxed, so the hunt is still on! Let me know if you know of any options I should try. I’d like to go with either merino or cashmere.
- Who What Wear bow sleeve sweater: I liked this sweater in theory, but the neckline was too high and the sweater was on the sheer side.
- Mossimo ruffle wrap dress: I thought this would be cute for end-of-summer evenings with a simple pair of sandals, but the quality wasn’t that great. It runs small.
The items I just might add to my wardrobe next month.
- Definitely a pair of black drop earrings.
- These loafers in dark chestnut. They look so comfortable!
- I’ve already ordered this dress to try.
- These make me want to start wearing heels again. I’m into the black textured leather option.