Happy Friday! I can’t exactly be relieved that it’s the weekend, considering we just got back from our Seattle trip late Wednesday night, but we’re off again for an overnight trip to Milwaukee. We both applied for Global Entry and our interviews are scheduled for Friday afternoon in the city, so we figured we’d make the most of it and make it into a mini trip. (We definitely don’t travel often enough internationally to warrant Global Entry, but it comes with TSA PreCheck and we each have a credit card that reimburses the fees.) After that, I’m looking forward to spending the rest of the weekend at home after we get back on Saturday. There’s a noticeable autumnal chill in the air, and I have a laundry list of house projects I want to get done before the real cold arrives! I hope you have a lovely weekend!
- Key moments from Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford’s senate hearing. (I’m writing this on Thursday night, and I can’t adequately explain how worried I am that tomorrow’s confirmation hearing will go Kavanaugh’s way. Ford has absolutely nothing to gain by coming forward and sharing her recount of that harrowing moment. I genuinely believe her. And to the Republicans who don’t, there’s got to be someone — anyone — to confirm who won’t find himself or herself in the midst of a controversy. Why dig your heels in to prove a partisan point?)
- Transform an empty wall near your door into an entryway.
- Are online waitlists a scam?
- A menswear-inspired shrunken cardigan that looks cute enough to wear as a shirt.
- Nextdoor is the most ridiculous perk that has come from having a house. If you’re not familiar with the Twitter account @bestofnextdoor, you are missing out. It’s also strangely reassuring to know that neighbors in all cities are crazy.
- Chicago is getting the world’s largest permanent digital art installation.
- Tips on how to mix patterns the right way from textile designer Rebecca Atwood.
- It’s time to look for a new fall jacket. I love this cropped buffalo plaid motorcycle jacket for an urban take on a northern classic.
- Six ways to raise your confidence at work.
- Would you pay for an $80 crystal water bottle? (That piece links to a small study exploring the placebo effect of crystals, which I found interesting.)
- Autumn calls for apple cider cocktails.
Finds Under $50:
- I have never had the desire to wear something from Abercrombie & Fitch, but this sweater is awfully tempting.
- Almond-toe loafers that are less expensive alternative to this pair.
- A goldenrod blouse is such a pretty option for fall.
- Prefer pattern? How about this floral print option?
- Charming isn’t the first word that would come to mind when describing dish rags … and then these happened.
Earlier This Week:
image via Unsplash