All of the purchases I kept last month were made at the tail end of September and didn’t arrive until the very beginning of October, giving me a misleading sense of frugality for the month! But if we’re looking at cost-per-wear (the fashionista’s convenient rationale for overspending), I nailed it with these three items. All have been on heavy rotation, especially the shoes which have become such staples that I’m surprised I’ve only had them for a month!
See all of this year’s sartorial additions here.
- Madewell ‘Frances’ loafers in black – I’ve wanted these loafers since they debuted last year, but I missed out on my size at the time and they fell off my radar over the summer. The reviews claim the stretch and to go with a snug size. I disagree. My normal size 7 was way too tight. Yes, they stretch a bit because they’re leather. But if they’re not comfortable right out of the box, I’d recommend going up a half size. You can wear loafer socks with them, too.
- C/Meo Collective sculpt knit top – I bought this during the Shopbop sale at the beginning of October. I wasn’t sure if I’d like it that much in person since it’s a lot sportier than my typical style, but it was really a ride-along item to get me to the 25% off threshold rather than the 20% off. (I was also ordering two sizes of the Vince sneakers to try.) I was shocked by how much I liked it. The wrap style is flattering, and it’s incredibly soft and warm. However, I don’t recommend it at its full price; wait for a sale.
- Vince ‘Blair’ slip-on sneakers in navy tweed – I finally caved and bought a pair of Vince sneakers. I honestly wasn’t sure I’d like them, but I wanted something that felt more elevated than a traditional lace-up style and everyone seems to like them. Well, there’s a reason that bloggers rave about these — they’re so comfortable! I went with my normal size.
DIDN’T WORK OUT
Things I tried and didn’t love.
- J.Crew ‘Daphne’ topcoat – I bought my usual size 8 for J.Crew coats and I was swimming in this. It was sold out online by the time I received it, so I didn’t have a chance to order it in a size smaller. However, I’m not sure I loved it enough anyway. It felt unfinished without a lining inside.
- J.Crew plaid front-pocket cardigan sweater – I get that this is supposed to be oversize, but I was drowning in the size small. It looked sloppy (the shaggier knit didn’t help), so back it went.
- Halogen x Atlantic-Pacific Bow Detail Tweed Jacket – This was cute, but I didn’t have that “oh-my-goodness-I-need-to-have-it” feeling that I should for a $170 jacket. I also felt the tweed was a bit too loosely woven and would easily snag.
- Halogen x Atlantic-Pacific Cashmere Beanie with Faux Fur Pom – This was another adorable piece from Blair’s collaboration, but I thought it was too long for my head. Besides, I much prefer this winter hat.