I can’t believe this is the last month of my foray into The French Wardrobe concept and I’m actually quite proud of how I’ve done. Sure, there are some impulse purchases peppered into the list below (ahem, Forever21), but it’s nowhere near the number of items I purchased before starting the challenge. I’m now less likely to settle for an item that’s just okay. It needs to be pretty amazing to earn a spot in my closet.
In retrospect, though, I wish I had focused on items of higher quality that are truly representative of my personal style. When I review my “fun” pieces, they’re a bit scatterbrained. We’ve got three special occasion dresses, a cat-print dress, a tartan sweater I purchased for a Christmas party and a work-appropriate floral blouse. I like them all, but I could have done better. Where are the pretty day dresses I love so much?
Well, there’s always The French Wardrobe: Spring/Summer 2014 Challenge starting on March 1. (I’m prepared with a list of capsule wardrobe items. Bring it on, spring!) I do hope you’ll give it a whirl. It’s not the easiest challenge, but it is incredibly rewarding. Let me know if you’re in, so we can link up!
On another note, would you like more commentary on items I decide to keep or return, like this and this? I don’t want it to become annoying to read, but I’d like to start a conversation about what makes an item worth keeping as I continue to refine my wardrobe.
And, without further ado, the recap:
- Quality over quantity.
- Basics don’t count.
- Accessories don’t count, unless you’re spending a lot more than usual.
- Socks and underwear don’t count.
- Shoes do count. (I’m not counting shoes, though.)
The bold items are the new additions since the previous post.
- Part of my Five Six: Erin Fetherston lipstick-print dress, Anthropologie cat-print dress, J.Crew Factory tartan-print sweater, Express navy metallic cocktail dress, LOFT floral blouse, Erin Fetherston pink cocktail dress (for $36 on Amazon)
- Basics: Banana Republic pants in black and navy, Forever 21 white dress, T by Alexander Wang black skirt (similar), J.Crew Factory polka dot popover shirt (similar), J.Crew sweatshirt, LOFT striped swimsuit
- Bags: Diane von Furstenberg clutch, Samudra clutch, Diane von Furstenberg red crossbody (via Gilt for $79)
- Accessories: Jennifer Meyer for J.Crew bracelet, Kate Spade belt, opal ring at an antique store in Alexandria, Forever 21 ring, Lulu Frost bangle, J.Crew Factory necklace, Kate Spade bangle, Melanie Auld ring, Karen Hsiang ring, Tory Burch necklace
- Shoes: Joie tartan flats, Forever 21 d’orsay flats, Sam Edelman ankle-strap flats
- Purged: all of my pencil skirts, 1 dress, 2 coats, 5 pairs of shoes, 1 necklace, 1 bracelet, 2 pairs of earrings, 3 rings
Read the previous French Wardrobe posts here.