Back in September, I mentioned that I was embarking on the French Wardrobe challenge. You can read more about it here, but it boils down to curating a wardrobe of versatile basics with just five statement pieces each season to keep it fresh.
- Quality over quantity.
- Basics don’t count.
- Accessories don’t count, unless you’re spending a lot more than usual.
- Socks and underwear don’t count.
- Shoes do count.*
*I’m not counting shoes. I don’t buy an excessive amount of them to begin with.
- Part of my Five: Erin Fetherston lipstick-print dress, Anthropologie cat-print dress
- Basics: Banana Republic black pants, Forever 21 white dress, T by Alexander Wang black skirt
- Bags: Diane von Furstenberg clutch (majorly on sale plus an additional 25% off brought this down to $55 after shipping)
- Accessories: Jennifer Meyer for J.Crew bracelet, Kate Spade belt, opal ring at an antique store in Alexandria, Forever 21 ring
- Shoes: Joie tartan flats, Forever 21 d’orsay flats
WHAT I’VE LEARNED:
- I have a pretty solid foundation of basics to work with. Although, I would like to add a pair a few more pairs of pants. I love these and would like to purchase them in navy and khaki the next time BR has a 40% off promotion. I’m also on the lookout for a slightly loose cashmere v-neck sweater. I like this J.Crew version in acorn, but it would have to go on sale first.
- I probably shouldn’t go to the mall. I only purchased a dress and ring from Forever 21 when I stopped in to check out the d’orsay flats.
- It’s becoming apparent that my five will be made up of whimsical prints.
- My Pinterest “Style” board has been crucial. It’s easy to see what I’m drawn to when there’s nearly 800 pins to browse. I like full skirts, bright colors, and interesting prints and textures.