Last year was a busy travel one for us, and while we weren’t on the road as often as some people are for work or recreation, it was the most we’ve ever traveled together in the course of 12 months. It seemed like we were on the road at least once a month for the latter half of the year, which challenged me to become more of an efficient packer, relying on wardrobe workhorses instead of packing items just for an outfit photo. Plus, it gave me ample time to home in on the travel accessories that make the journey more enjoyable and more efficient. Here are my top five:
- Vince sneakers – I wasn’t sure what to expect when I bought a pair of Vince sneakers late last year. Bloggers rave about them, but there’s always a real possibility it’s because of aesthetics and not comfort. I’m happy to report that these slip-on sneakers live up to the hype. They were comfortable right out of the box with no need for a break-in period and I’ve already worn them for countless miles of exploring cities.
- Packing cubes – Just like the Vince sneakers, everyone talks about how great packing cubes are, but you don’t really understand how great they are until you try them yourself. They’re a space-saving solution in your suitcase and they help keep everything organized. I love the preppy stripe on this Paravel set, but we actually have these and they do the job well. We also have one of these each and prefer them over the budget brand, but they all get the job done.
- Flight 001 adapter – We’ve been delighted with this four-in-one adapter that fits together to work in 150 countries.
- Bose noise-cancelling headphones – The ambient drone of an airplane never bothered me before Dave gave me these. I don’t think I realized how loud planes actually were until I was able to shut it all out and focus on my podcast without distractions.
- Belkin mini outlet strip – Maximize the best outlet location in your hotel room with this mini power strip. It even has two USB ports so you charge your phone and keep the outlets free. On international trips, we dedicate one of our adapters to keeping this plugged in because it’s just so handy to have.