Happy Friday! It’s supposed to be a drizzly, cold weekend here in Madison, which is the perfect excuse to tackle a few household projects. I’m most excited about continuing to paint and repair our doors and remove layers of paint from the antique hardware. If you watched my Instagram story yesterday, you’ll know that I boiled a painted door hinge in water yesterday and it worked like a charm (with a little bit of elbow grease to get the stubborn bits of paint to release). I’m going to post a tutorial once I get the technique down pat because few things are more satisfying than restoring a piece of the house instead of replacing it. (Just think of these home-related posts as the “Bedknobs” portion of my blog title!)
I hope you have a wonderful weekend and a happy Mother’s Day!
- The best dressed at the Met Gala, and the best recreations.
- Exploring the unregulated industry of trendy “healing” crystals.
- A roundup of this year’s best sunscreen.
- Could cannabis be the next post-workout recovery remedy?
- The print on this dress is beautiful! It also comes in a one-shoulder top.
- A collection inspired by the requisite makeup of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (you know them as the inspiration for “A League of One’s Own”).
- I made this goat cheese and asparagus pasta last night. It was good, but definitely needed more asparagus, salt, and pepper. We added a few crumbles of feta on top because I only had four ounces of goat cheese on hand and the recipe called for five.
- A selection of five often overlooked low-light plants for your home. (I’m all about low-light plants that are nearly indestructible, like a ZZ plant.)
- I have to get my driver’s license renewed this month and I’m really disappointed about it because I loved my last photo so much! Wisconsin’s latest IDs have grainy black and white photos, so I’m not sure if these tips for taking a great license photo will prove to be helpful, but it’s worth a shot!
- These enamel dinner plates are perfect for outdoor entertaining. They’re available for order starting on Sunday! Can’t. Wait.
Finds Under $50:
- Use this wood bead bag as a clutch. (The chain looks cheap, at least in the photos.)
- The under-$50 dress I love gets a playful update with a flounced hem.
- I’m showing my age, but does anyone else remember those jelly shoes we all had as kids? They were awful and left your feet so sweaty, but the material is making a comeback this year as a basket bag. Get one here, here, or here. (The last one is my favorite.) They’d be great for the farmers’ market.
- These are the only earrings you’ll need for summer.
- I can’t resist stripes, especially when they’re this cute.
- The tie detail on this dress is perfection.
Earlier This Week:
- Debuting a new wallet-friendly sundress.
- A colorful collection of finds.
- “Behind the Baubles” with the irreverent designs of Labulgara.
- Floral favorites.
image via Unsplash