I almost went an entire month without purchasing clothing or accessories for myself. For a solid two weeks, I was creative and content with my wardrobe, taking note of my wardrobe MVPs (that’s “Most Versatile Pieces,” which is fodder for a blog post coming soon). I found myself reaching for this black dress and this pendant all of the time.
…and then I faltered.
Anthropologie was offering an additional 25% off dresses, and the siren song of this dress was too strong to resist. I had tried it on last month and regretted putting it back on the rack. It’s short, flirty, and wonderfully girly. I needed a ride-along item to qualify for free shipping (obviously) and chose this dress in orange (photo here). Despite the glowing reviews, I didn’t expect to love the high neckline and long hemline. But, I do. It’s like nothing else in my closet.
…and then Black Friday happened.
I ordered a Monica Vinader ring and a pair of pink pumps. Those purchases haven’t arrived yet, so I’ll include them in December’s recap. There’s always a chance they’ll make a return trip to the retailer.
See all of the year’s wardrobe additions here.
- Maeve eyelet swing dress in black ($60): Cotton eyelet isn’t what you’d consider a holiday fabric, but I’m planning to wear this at our family’s Christmas gathering with black tights, these flats, and the oversize earrings in this post. The dress has an exaggerated bell-shaped body, so you’ll just need to find one that fits well in the bust. I’m getting anxious to book a warm-weather vacation to wear the dress with my favorite summer accessories, too.
- Maeve “Larkhill” swing dress ($90): As I mentioned above, this is like nothing else in my closet. It’s real silk and drapes beautifully, so the amount of fabric with a high neck and long hem isn’t overwhelming. It looks best with heels or wedges. I don’t have the right pair of shoes now, but I’m hoping the pink heels I ordered work well with it.
- Old Navy straight-leg jeans ($20, not pictured): I fell out of my exercise routine when I broke my foot in June. Sadly, I still haven’t gotten back in the swing of things and the pounds are creeping on. My old jeans were getting too snug and I need a pair in a larger size. I’ve since started working out again, counting Weight Watcher points, and wearing my Fitbit! Hopefully these jeans will get the heave-ho soon!
GIFTS FROM DAVE
We stopped at Uniqlo when we were in Chicago and Dave generously added my selections to his purchase.
- Uniqlo extra fine merino v-neck sweaters in black and light blue: I wasn’t sure what to expect from a $20 (on sale) sweater, but I thought I’d give it a whirl since they were so inexpensive. I wore them each for a day and they held their shape well. I went with a medium. (I usually wear a small in J.Crew’s Tippi sweater for comparison.)
- Uniqlo faux fur ear muffs in navy: I forgot to bring a hat to Chicago and I was freezing at night. We made a second trip to Uniqlo so I could buy a pair of ear muffs. They’re ridiculous and large, but I love them so much. See them in this Insta. They’re only $9.90 for Cyber Monday with free shipping.
As always, I want to be transparent about what I’ve received from companies for review or as part of a collaboration. I’m selective about the pieces I accept and will only work with companies I feel good about recommending.
DIDN’T WORK OUT
Things I tried and didn’t love:
- Banana Republic ponte ruffle dress in red: The red version of my beloved LBD came to just $45 after a discount code and a BR Card Reward coupon I had stashed away. It’s one of those pieces you can wear to eat and drink with abandon … without wondering if a waistband is looking a bit taut. (Priorities.) However, I didn’t love this one in person. The black version is much more flattering.
CYBER MONDAY FAVORITES
Since I can’t ignore a major sale event, here are my favorite sales of the day and the pieces I’d pick:
- Old Navy: Save 40% on everything, including new arrivals! I love the print of this t-shirt dress in “white,” which is really a tie-dye/ikat stripe. Finding a good print on a budget is hard, but this dress will likely look more expensive than it is with nice leather sandals and a good quality tote bag. Pass on the heather grey and navy stripe. Those look too cheap.
- J.Crew: Almost everything is 30-40% off today. You’ll save an extra 40-50% off on sale items. Plus, free shipping! My first pick from J.Crew is one of the only full-price items: Chup socks for men. I gave this pair to Dave as an early Christmas gift. He’s normally very picky about socks, but online reviews on various men’s forums were right. Chup socks are pretty great. (They’re a wool blend, so we’re line-drying them.) As far as sale items go, I love this navy and white striped faux fur scarf and this darling pink beanie. I usually scour the sale section for jewelry, since I don’t think the quality of J.Crew gems justifies the price tag. This cuff is pretty major.
- Anthropologie: Free shipping on all orders and an extra 25% off sale items! Given my propensity to blow my budget on Anthro dresses, I’m staying far away from the clothing and turning my attention to housewares. Winterize your bar cart with these pretty highball glasses. This pitcher is a gorgeous gift for someone who is hard to shop for.
- Banana Republic: 40% off everything! No exclusions! Obviously, I’m going to suggest the pink pumps I ordered. But, I also love the Sloan pants and wear them to work weekly.
- Amazon: Take 30% off select clothing and accessories here. I would love to own this Furla bucket bag.
- Kate Spade: Take 30% off everything with code SHINE. I’ve only purchased one item from Kate Spade this year: the “Carima” loafers featured in this post. I’m terribly tempted to order the silver pair as well. For gift-giving, I’m all about this bow ornament.
linking with Fran