A few weeks ago, Walmart reported a surge in the sale of tops, but not of bottoms, citing COVID-19 as the likely reason. It’s not surprising given that office workers across the country are participating in virtual meetings, leaving behind the need to wear an entire office-appropriate ensemble. Personally, while I’ve tried to at least wear jeans with a blouse during business e-meetings, there have been a few times that I’ve kept my yoga pants on, affectionately calling them my “pandemic pants.” Something I have consistently worn for those virtual face-to-face meetings has been a pair of statement earrings. Earrings effortlessly pull together your half-outfit and flatter your face during those on-screen appearances. Below, I’ve rounded up ten pairs that have caught my eye during the pandemic and I’ll vouch for the Jenny Bird hoops that I recently purchased. The organic, slightly irregular shape make them much more interesting than just your standard hoops.
:: sigh :: Remember the days when we could travel? It’s hard to believe that we were in Portugal 11 months ago and, boy, do I miss that version of me: the bubbly girl who was exploring a new-to-her country, indulging in midday porto tonics, and wouldn’t pass up a quick snapshot at a fully tiled wall. Travel seems like a distant memory now that Wisconsin extended its stay-at-home orders through May 26, and to be honest, I sobbed when I heard the news. We’ve been social distancing for a month now (36 days to be exact) and I’m not sure how to make another six weeks bearable. I miss normalcy. I miss going to the office, seeing friends, having the freedom to go about my day in the way that I please. I know some people are thriving at home. I’m not one of them. I’m trying to push myself to work on long-awaited household projects and get that patio garden started, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to do much more than watch TV and stare at my phone once my workday wraps up. How are you getting through this and staying motivated? I need all of the tips and pep talks I can get!
Alright, on to the links!
I loved this slideshow of Photoshopped creations a dad made of his son’s animal drawings.
How fun is this colorful jumpsuit?!
One of our couch cushions started pilling recently (and, surprisingly, it’s the middle cushion that we don’t really sit on). I tried this fabric shaver and now the upholstery looks good as new!
After the pandemic, the office dress code should never come back.
We watched Home Before Dark on Apple TV last week and loved it.
If you’re in need of a new drink while cocktailing at home, may I suggest the Hemingway daiquiri? We happened to have grapefruit juice the other night and realized our bar was stocked well enough with the other ingredients on hand and gave it a whirl. It’s delicious — and potent. I served them in these coupes, which are great quality despite the low price point. (Manhattans look great in them, too!)
A guide to getting through COVID-19 alone.
Ten ingredients to upgrade your cooking.
One of the best things about isolation is seeing how others are embracing domestic hobbies like baking and gardening, even when it comes to simple pursuits such as regrowing vegetables from scraps.
If you’ve ever been curious about the history of household items, this book is for you!
Finds Under $50:
- Considering this cute shirt.
- I’m still a sucker for a resin earring.
- Up your snack game with olive wood bowls.
- Dave suggested that I get an AirPods case so he stops confusing his pair for mine while we work at home. I love this light pink floral one.
- I placed an order for this top to wear with jeans now and with linen shorts later.
- This lamp is a great fit for mid-century modern design as well as tropical aesthetics.
- A colorful cover-up.
In case you missed it:
- I bought a pair of earrings. (Find ’em here.)
- The closest thing to a tropical escape I’ll have this year.
- We had our stairwell painted. More photos coming soon, along with before and after photos and product links for our entry pieces.
- Last month’s purchases.
I’ve been trying to focus my attention on this space to give myself a creative outlet from the monotony of self isolation, but I’m not quite there yet as I get used to the new normal of working from home. When my work day ends, all I want to do is step away from a computer, go for a walk, and then plant myself in front of a different screen to play Animal Crossing: New Horizons. (Don’t judge me. It’s surprisingly addictive and a nice escape from doomsday news clips.) That said, I bought a few things last month! So, why not get back into the blogging routine with a roundup of my latest acquisitions that may or may not see the light of day outside of a virtual meeting this season! 😉
Disclaimer: I never include things like pajamas and athletic clothes in these roundups, but trust that I bought a new pair of “pandemic pants,” slippers, and a hoodie to go with. I’m embarrassed to share how often I’ve already worn that getup.
PURCHASED – FOR ME
See all of this year’s sartorial additions here.
- Kate Spade ‘party bubbles’ blouse – Kate Spade’s sale items are an extra 50% off right now, so it’s a good time to scoop this up if you like it as much as I do! I tend to be between a small and medium in Kate Spade items and went with the medium in this one, although it was close.
- Kate Spade ‘pacific petals’ hair tie – This hair tie is even better in person. I didn’t realize that you can remove the scarf and use just the scrunchie portion, which I won’t actually do, but I love that you can use the scarf separately.
- LOFT floral vine tiered dress – Loft’s tiered swing dresses win me over every time. I went with a small. It looks like it’s already sold out, but you can see the other tiered styles here. I’m considering this black dress next!
- Quay Australia ‘after hours’ sunglasses – These are really fun oversized shades if you’re looking for a new pair this season.
PURCHASED – FOR HOME
- Target lumbar pillow – I’m disappointed that this is already sold out online because it’s one of the best throw pillows I’ve come across at the retailer in awhile. The quality is great and the texture makes it look more expensive than it is. It’s a great accent pillow for bedding.
Wisconsin isn’t under a shelter-in-place order as of today, but I suspect it’s coming soon — and you have no idea how much I hope it happens, especially as someone with asthma. I’ve been so worried about getting sick that my heart just sank when I started having body aches last Wednesday, followed by shortness of breath, and coughing. It all came to a head on Saturday when I was so weak that I could barely leave the bed late that afternoon. I don’t think it was COVID-19 because I didn’t have a fever and my symptoms were accompanied by sneezing. But who really knows without actually being tested? In any case, I’ve been home for a week already with no end in sight. It feels surreal to spend day in and day out here, and I feel like I’m already losing grip on what day and time it is at any given moment. Hell, I had to consult my pill organizer to know that the other day was, in fact, Friday! How are you holding up?
Krystal’s post is full of great tips on how to prioritize your mental health while you’re social distancing.
Home organization could be a very helpful coping mechanism for the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19.
In defense of “inside clothes.”
I’ve shared my penchant for Joseph Lee’s art before and his interpretation of Girl with a Pearl Earring is so good! I hope he creates prints of it. Fingers crossed!
Linen has seen a resurgence in the marketplace and I am fully on board. Not only does linen get softer with every wash, it’s breathable, naturally antibacterial, and a greener alternative to cotton because it requires less harmful pesticides and fertilizers. We have this set of sheets and I’m considering this duvet cover as well.
Consider keeping your happy hour plans — at a distance. (Our friends have been getting together for neighborhood walks and patio drinks with a respectful distance between everyone. It’s been a nice standing date to know that at least a handful of the group will be free during this tumultuous time. We also have a vibrant group chat to keep those who couldn’t partake in the loop.)
I wanted to purchase these sandals last year and now that I’m saving a boatload of money by not eating out, I think I’m going to take the plunge. What color would you choose? White or brown?
Finds under $50:
- I’m loving this midcentury-inspired magazine rack.
- There are lot of items marked down 25 percent at Nordstrom right now, making it a great time to pick up these sunglasses.
- A cozy sweater dress for working from home when you want to feel somewhat presentable.
- If you’re looking for a pair of simple gold stud earrings, how about these? I have a few Jenny Bird pieces and can vouch for the quality.
- This gingham top is so sweet! Use code LOVEU for 40% off, plus there’s free shipping and free returns!
In case you missed it:
- Seven dinner recipes we have on rotation that don’t make us miss dining out.
- A few favorite pieces for spring.
- Filling my camera roll with photos of Oliver is the only thing getting me through self-isolation.