After going to Milwaukee for an afternoon of shopping for a few fall staples, it became apparent that I can’t step foot inside of a store or — god forbid — a mall. I can usually talk myself out of items when I have a screen and miles of distance between myself and a covetable piece. In person? All bets are off. It wouldn’t have been quite so bad if I hadn’t already purchased the Kate Spade heels and the DVF romper. But, c’est la vie.
The upside in a month of overindulgence is that I have exactly one item on my October wish list: this coat. I have an emerald green version from a previous year, and I’d love to add the camel one to my coat collection.
PURCHASED – FOR ME
See all of this year’s sartorial additions here.
- Diane von Furstenberg “Henrietta” romper – I’m a sucker for a good DVF piece, especially in the form of this flattering romper. It runs big, so you’ll want to size down. The v-neck is low, which makes midday removal easy, but you might want to use a safety pin or add a snap for modesty — although, it might be due to my small chest that it gapes open!
- Kate Spade tortoiseshell pumps (also here)- I love a classic shoe and this pair from Kate Spade ticks all the boxes with a wearable height, wear-with-everything neutral print, and a patent upper. They run true to size.
- Banana Republic merino sweater in green and black – My wardrobe was void of slightly-boxy sweaters that I could wear to work and on weekends. I loved these because of the thicker material that layers well. (I hate when you can see hints of what’s layered underneath a sweater because it’s too thin.) They ran true to size for me, but I probably could have sized down for a more fitted look.
- Joe’s Jeans skinny ankle-length, raw-hem jeans (similar) – I gained weight in Portugal that I haven’t lost yet (oops) and I needed a pair of jeans that fit. These aren’t the same style exactly, but I bought a similar pair at Nordstrom Rack. I’ve always loved how soft Joe’s Jeans are.
- J.Crew pavé daisy chandelier earrings – The photo doesn’t do these justice. They’re much more sparkly and eye-catching in real life and will be perfect for the holiday season. I wore them to an event already and received a lot of compliments. They’re on sale with an extra 50% off today — get them before they sell out!
- Banana Republic chunky pointelle cropped sweater in cream – Fair warning for those with long torsos, this sweater is definitely cropped. It just covers the waistband of a pair of non-high-waisted jeans on me. The knit is really pretty with flecks of yellow and black in it. I went down a size.
PURCHASED – FOR HOME
- Target plaid throw pillow in green – This wool-blend pillow is better quality than you’d think for the price. It’s a zippered cover with an insert, rather than the sewn-in ones that you usually get at Target. It’s perfect for adding an autumnal touch to your home without going overboard. (My mom was in town a couple of weeks ago and also loved it. I ordered two more for her when they came back in stock.)
- Target striped shower curtain in grey – While we’re planning to do a full bathroom remodel eventually, I decided I wanted to give it an in-between update now. We’ll need to work with the existing beige tile, beige tiles, and beige linoleum flooring, and I thought this shower curtain would work well with the neutrals in the room. The fabric is really soft and seems like it’ll drape well.
- Crate & Barrel wood taper candle holders – I stopped by the brick and mortar store when we were in Milwaukee recently and fell in love with these acacia wood candle holders. They’re a great modern shape and the wood lends warmth to a table setting.
DIDN’T WORK OUT
Things I tried and didn’t love.
- Madewell “Roadtripper” jeans – The waist was higher than I expected. They ran true-to-size for me, though.
- Diane von Furstenberg “Savilla” dress – I was hoping to add some more business professional attire to my wardrobe and tried this dress, but I hated it on me. It felt matronly despite the wrap style that’s usually flattering on me. I think I just hate dresses with short sleeves.