Man, January is kicking my butt. First I had car issues with the tires I recently had replaced (they wouldn’t hold air), I needed my brakes replaced, Dave’s grandfather passed away (at the very impressive age of 95!), and our furnace went out Tuesday night. We opted to wait until morning to have it fixed despite the overnight low of three degrees to save on after-hours fees. So, we bundled up, added more blankets to the bed, wished we had a space heater, and let water run overnight so our pipes didn’t freeze. (This is homeownership, folks!) The house was a brisk 50 degrees when we woke up (down from 65 when we turned in for the night), which isn’t terrible and probably speaks highly of the insulation in the place. It was still awfully cold, though, and a steamy shower was such a treat in the morning. I felt bad for Bacon who kept burrowing under piles of blankets to keep warm until the repair guy arrived in the afternoon. Anyway, that’s enough complaining! We had the funeral yesterday morning, a Destroyer concert last night (it’s Dave’s favorite band and I gave him tickets for Christmas), and absolutely no plans the rest of the weekend.
- Victoria’s accidental experiment with minimalism is such a great reminder that we don’t actually need (or later want) many of the items we covet. I’ve been saving all of my possible purchases to a private Pinterest board, but I love the idea of keeping a list that doesn’t have photos included.
- I’m obsessed with this cuff bracelet.
- Who knew that Lowe’s could turn into a glamorous photo location?
- A gorgeous photo essay offers a peek into one of America’s last pencil factories.
- It probably comes as no surprise that Sketch is on my must-do list for London. I loved Nicole’s photos and tips for snagging that coveted reservation.
- Instagram’s algorithm is such a mess. Here are the changes on the horizon.
- Clare V. added her signature prints to wallpaper. I’ve tried to convince Dave we should put this one in the half bath off of our kitchen.
- Creamy kimchi dip sounds amazing.
- You don’t have to spend a fortune for large-scale artwork.
- I came across a gorgeous matte black ceramic vase on Etsy. Isn’t it striking?
Style Steals Under $50:
- If you’re heading someplace warm, consider this dress. The copper colorway would look gorgeous with a woven bag and nude sandals.
- I, ahem, “love” this t-shirt.
- Use code COZY to take 50% off this cute swing dress.
- Add a burst of color to your winter wardrobe with this sweater. The green one is my favorite.
- Slip’s eyemask gets a flirty update in time for Valentine’s Day.
Earlier This Week:
January No Shop Update: The furnace was kind of the last straw and sent my stress levels through the roof, so perhaps it was no coincidence that this week I caved and made an unnecessary purchase. At 50% off and a rare free shipping offer from LOFT, this shirt was too tempting to pass up without trying it on. I can’t tell you how guilty I felt after I placed the order and I figured I could always return it and no harm done. And then it arrived. I’m so freaking in love with it. It’s cute tucked into an a-line skirt. I love it with jeans and my favorite red flats. And it’s adorable underneath a sleeveless crewneck dress. I guess as far as impulse purchases go, $22 isn’t terrible after months of spending 10 times that on unnecessary things. Plus, at least it wasn’t an expensive foray into the bell-sleeve trend if I don’t end up wearing it past spring. Anyway, I’m a little disappointed that I wasn’t able to hold out another 11 days until the end of the month, but I’m not going to beat myself up over it as long as it’s the only thing that makes its way into my closet this January!
image via Unsplash