[dropcap custom_class=”normal”]W[/dropcap]orking on a budget update is a pretty good kick in the rear to stop shopping for myself on Black Friday! I didn’t do too terribly this month, but I’ve nearly spent my entire budget and I still have three months to go. Sheesh… Sounds like I need to start hustling to earn more money! On the upside, we were given the details of our holiday bonuses last week, which certainly made my decision to splurge on this bracelet earlier today a bit more justifiable. (I’ll add it to the budget next month when it arrives.)
I started with a six-month budget of $1,500. I consider blog revenue and eBay sales to be “fun money” and will add a portion of that additional income to my overall seasonal budget (if it doesn’t end up in my travel fund first). I’ll record any budget increases or expenditures here each month. Anything that has been ordered and has not yet arrived will appear on the next budget update. (There will also be an annual “Tax Refund Splurge” that goes above my budget, but I’ll devote a post to that in January.)
- $1,500 starting budget
- + $200 added to the budget this season ($0 this month)
- – $1579.05 spent this season ($265.60 this month)
- = $120.95 remaining
View all of my purchases (that I can find stock photos for) on my fall and winter wardrobe Pinterest board.
- Ted Baker opulent bloom skirt ($248)
- LOFT scuba flare skirt in navy and black ($98.70)
- J.Crew Tippi sweater in black ($62.90)
- Theory Dreeden sweater in charcoal ($130)
- J.Crew Regent blazer in heather carbon ($138.60)
- NEW Tory Burch scarab-print blouse ($137.12): Nordstrom Rack will be the death of my budget.
- NEW Anthropologie golden flowervine tank ($98): My family gatherings are pretty casual, so I wanted something that was festive without being too dressy. I love how this top looks with a black a-line skirt or a pair of cigarette pants and its versatility means it will probably be more worn many times throughout the season.
Shoes & Accessories:
- Prada sunglasses ($204)
- DVF sunglasses ($50)
- Tory Burch Bedford flats in cobalt snakeskin ($206.25)
- Tory Burch metallic lace minaudiere ($175)
- NEW Tory Burch chevron drop earring ($16.50): I received a $50 gift card from the company, which was a wonderful holiday surprise, even if it was probably a reward for shopping so much with them in the last year! Since I’ve already done so much damage this season, I put it toward a pair of earrings that were already on sale. I didn’t expect much from them, but I’m actually delighted with how pretty they are in person. They’re a great option for a lightweight statement piece. (You can see them on a model here.)
- NEW Sabine post bar earrings ($13.98): These were a ride along item to qualify for a discount on this backordered dress. I think I’ll get plenty of wear out of them.
This section sort of comes off as braggy, which isn’t my intention. Blogging is getting less and less transparent and I want to be clear with what I’ve purchased and what items I’ve received as part of a collaboration. I’m awfully picky about the brands I work with–and won’t post items I don’t love–so rest assured these are solid.
- Elie Tahari x DesigNation faux-fur mixed-media jacket
- Elie Tahari x DesigNation NYC skyline fit & flare dress
- Apt. 9 openwork ring
- Julie Vos Acanthus cuff
- Julie Vos Tatiana ring
- Julie Vos Baroque pendant
- Gerard Yosca necklace
- Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses
- Gerard Yosca earrings
- Gerard Yosca pendant
- Kate Spade bag
- Kate Spade earrings
Items I tried this month, but didn’t purchase:
- French Connection sequin dress: I thought a peach sequin dress would be an unexpected holiday dress for Dave’s company cocktail party. I just didn’t expect it to be neon pink and yellow in person.
- ASOS sleeveless shift: I wanted more loose shift dresses to wear to work, but this one didn’t work out. It was too large on top and the wide straps were unflattering. I didn’t love it enough to bring it to the tailor.
- Banana Republic gray flannel fit-and-flare skirt: So bummed about this! The skirt was incredibly short in person and barely covered my bum. The tall would have given me two more inches, but the flannel was on the thin side and I just didn’t think it was worth it.
- Faribault x Target wool scarf in cannon stripe: I know I’m an outlier with this, but I’m not a huge fan of the ubiquitous Zara blanket scarf. This scarf looked like such a cute alternative with what appeared to be heather grey and white. It’s a shame the scarf was a mossy green and cream in person. Pass.
- 1.State Pleated Jersey Skirt: The pleats on this added bulk rather than feminine volume and the color is a bit more drab in person.
Donated or sold:
- 5 dresses
- 3 pairs of shoes
- 1 skirt
- 3 handbags
- 3 belts
- a boatload of old costume jewelry from places like H&M and Forever21
HOW ARE YOU DOING?
Fran does a great job of linking to budget bloggers each month and I strongly encourage you to take part. I hope you’ll also share links to your wardrobe recaps here. I’m always curious to learn how others curate their closets!