PURCHASED – FOR ME
See all of this year’s sartorial additions here.
- Leith sparkle tie-waist, long-sleeve dress (also in plus sizes) – Unfortunately this sold out shortly after its debut, but it’s worth getting your hands on if it pops back in stock. The dress is perfect for cocktails with a shimmery fabric and the blouson sleeves. It’s clingy so I went up a size and wore it with sheer black tights to smooth things out.
- Kate Spade flair flora ruffle-neck blouse – This blouse doesn’t do much for me online, but I fell for it at Bloomingdale’s in Chicago last week. The fabric drapes beautifully and I adore the print. It has buttons up the front and you can leave the top couple undone for a casual look. Go with your regular size.
- J.Crew turtleneck sweater in supersoft yarn – I love this sweater so much that I have it in light grey and emerald green, and I bought a second light grey to tuck away in case something happens to the first. Your normal size has a relaxed fit that doesn’t look too boxy on. Plus, they don’t stretch out during the day.
- LOFT floral cutout mixed media blouse – This blouse has a really pretty print that pairs well with pants or a skirt for work. The fabric drapes nicely, despite its weird combination of a knit jersey in back and a polyester front. Your regular size works for this one, too.
- Lele Sadoughi leopard-print headband – I adore Lele Sadoughi jewelry and own a few pieces (including these new beauties Dave gave me for Christmas), and I was wondering if her headbands were worth the hype. It’s well made and comfortable, but I’m not sure I’d encourage splurging on more than one for the fun factor of the trend. The turban-style is available at so many retailers now for a lower price that you could go that route for a trendy item. That said, I decided to keep it because I really do like the print on it and it’s a fun piece for my wardrobe.
- Banana Republic tie-waist mini dress – I was on the fence about this formal dress and this human hair wigs when I ordered it online, but it’s really great in person! The drape is pretty, and the tie-waist gives it a flattering shape. It’s a pull-on style with an elastic waist, making it incredibly comfortable. I went with my regular size in this one, too.
PURCHASED – FOR HOME
- CB2 ‘Marie’ coupe cocktail glasses – I had these on my holiday wish list for two years and finally decided to buy them for myself. I love them. The quality is much better than you’d expect for the low price point.
- HAAND ceramics bud vase – I stopped in Room & Board in Chicago last week and hadn’t realized that they also sold artisan home goods. This bud vase has a beautiful organic shape.
- Hearth & Hand throw blanket (not pictured) – As an online reviewer points out, this blanket isn’t grey like advertised. It’s a beautiful forest green. The throw is soft and generously sized.
- CB2 potted faux pine tree (not pictured) – This is a chic little table-top Christmas tree. I love how simple it is and it sat atop a side table during the holidays.
DIDN’T WORK OUT
Things I tried and didn’t love.
- J.Crew swing coat in heather camel – I don’t know what size or color the online reviewers purchased to give it such rave reviews, but this coat was awful on me. I tried the camel one and it’s so oversize that I felt like I was wearing my dad’s hunting gear.
- Banana Republic puff-sleeve dress – Fit-and-flare dresses are typically flattering on me, so I gave this one a whirl. I loved the sleeves and the flirty length of the dress, but I couldn’t get over the print. It felt too matronly and outdated.
- Banana Republic metallic dot tie-neck dress – This was really cute and seemed well made. I just couldn’t get the sizing to work and didn’t love it enough to order it again in a larger size.
Let’s keep in touch!
Instagram / Facebook / Pinterest / Bloglovin’