Another month, another roundup of the things I bought and loved recently — but the biggest update this month is that we’re composters now! I had been wanting to start composting for awhile for the environmental benefits of keeping vegetable waste out of the landfill, but it wasn’t until I started trying my hand at gardening this year that it made sense to buy a composter. Otherwise, what was I really going to do with the compost after the materials broke down?
Other than that, it was getting back to basics in the wardrobe with a few items to round out my summer staples.
IN THE WARDROBE
See all of this year’s sartorial additions here.
- Maeve ‘Lorraine’ mini dress in coco brown – I love this dress. It has mixed reviews online, probably due to the a-line style of the dress that I can see overwhelming smaller frames. It’s great for women with hips, though! The fabric drapes nicely, it’s lined, and it has pockets! I noticed that it’s now on sale and I’m going to buy the pink one as well. I went with my regular size medium.
- J.Crew linen muscle tank in pale cypress and arctic ocean – These linen tanks are incredibly versatile for summer and look great with jeans as well as shorts, plus the wide straps mean you can wear a regular bra. I ordered these in medium, but they do run a bit large and I think I could have gone down a size.
- Madewell pull-on shorts in desert olive – I bought the black pair last year and wore them quite a bit, so I figured I’d add the olive to my wardrobe as well. They’re great for women with hips and larger thighs. The only drawback is that they do wrinkle when you’re sitting, but I like them enough to overlook that. They run true to size.
- Banana Republic Factory knit strapless maxi dress in stripes – I was #Influenced by an Instagram ad for this and I’m pretty happy about it. It’s a flattering dress for summer and the tighter bodice means you can get away without wearing a bra with it if you have a small chest. Runs true to size.
- Joe’s Jeans mid-rise straight crop – I wore a hole in my only pair of jeans, necessitating a denim purchase for the warmer months. While I normally opt for skinny jeans, I figured a straight pair of cropped jeans would be fun for summer. These are absolutely adorable! I ordered two sizes to try: the size I had worn in my aforementioned jeans (same brand) and a size smaller, I kept the smaller of the two.
- J.Crew classic ballet flats in warm sepia – I excitedly posted about these last week and immediately placed an order for the brown pair. They’re not the best quality, but they’re a steal when J.Crew has the extra percentage off the sale price. They’re adorable with cropped denim.
AROUND THE HOUSE
- OXO Good Grips easy-clean compost bin – This is perfect for collecting kitchen scraps before bringing it to the composter. There’s no smell when it’s closed (we empty it every 4-6 days) and it’s easy to clean.
- Dual Chamber Tumbling Composter – I went back and forth between a tumbling composter or a traditional one. We decided the tumbling one was probably sufficient for our needs — and my lack of interest in getting out a shovel to stir a traditional compost pile. This one has two sections, so you can fill one and then let it do its thing when it’s full and put newer scraps into the other side. It was a bit of a pain to put together and the printed instructions weren’t helpful, but there are online instructions that were easier to understand.
- Target earthenware geared planter in white – This looks like something you’d find at West Elm, and the price can’t be beat!
This post contains affiliate links.