It’s hard to believe it’s already February! I can’t say I mind, especially after this week’s arctic blast. Like most of the Midwest, we were inundated with frostbite-inducing temperatures with a -25 degree real temperature and wind chills bringing that down to -55. Our office was closed for the better part of it due to the cold and we were all instructed to work from home. I love the flexibility of my workplace, but a week at home is enough to drive me batty! I’m looking forward to getting out today and enjoying highs in the 40s — what a difference a few days makes!
In other news, we had a carpenter/handyman/restorer come out on Friday to look at a few projects around the house like closing off a shoddily installed (and unnecessary) doorway between two bedrooms, filling in a missing strip of crown molding, and restoring some of the baseboards. I have no idea what stuff like this costs, and I’m crossing my fingers that the better part of it comes in under a grand. (We have a shared savings account with Capital One 360 that we both contribute to each paycheck. It’s been one of the best decisions we’ve made, giving us funds for unexpected repairs that come up and for splurge-worthy furnishings. Honestly, I’d recommend that everyone do this no matter their living situation. Even $25 per check adds up over the year and gives you extra money for something down the road.)
Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!
- The struggle retailers have with ditching the plastic polybags.
- I love Briony’s approach to the new year with The Happiness Project.
- This print is beautiful.
- The return of Emily Henderson’s Craigslist posts prompted me to follow suit this weekend. I’m actually heading out to see this chair later today! It looks like the perfect mid-century take on rattan.
- Stop hoarding beauty samples.
- The psychology of gossiping.
- I’m not much for heart motifs, but these earrings would make for the perfect Valentine’s gift.
- Dani shared a list on how to tidy up consciously, and make sure your unused items make their way to people who will actually appreciate them.
- Would more women in fashion power positions mean more female customers?
- Seven things to know before buying a fixer-upper. (These are all so true!)
Finds Under $50:
- A cute tabletop planter.
- The look of Cult Gaia’s wood earrings for less.
- A pair of modern mules.
- The flattering placement of the rib-knit detail makes this sweater look more expensive than it is.
- A sweet dress.
- Add Kate Spade’s latest pattern to the handle of your purse.
What You May Have Missed:
- Wood bead bags are the must-have accessory for spring.
- I’m obsessed with the chair in this week’s “The Coveted.” We’ll be remodeling our front porch/sun room eventually and I’d love a couple of those chairs out there!
- A no-shop January didn’t go as planned, but I’m delighted with what I bought.
- Where should we go for our big trip in 2019?
image via Unsplash
Let’s keep in touch! Instagram / Facebook / Pinterest / Bloglovin’