Goodness, I’m a neglectful blogger lately! I’ve been prioritizing work, plans with friends, time away from social media, and house items, but truthfully, I’ve also been uninspired. Looking back, I seem to get into this funk at the beginning of every year when it feels like the grey, dreary weather won’t quit and sharing photos of my black parka, black dress, black tights, and black boots isn’t exactly worthwhile content! Now that things are finally warming up and there’s daylight after work, I just feel so much better and more like myself. Finally. So, with that, hello again!
A few weeks ago, I mentioned that we were having some carpenters and restoration workers come in to give us quotes on closing up the doorway that was cut between two of our bedrooms. We chose someone to work with and the install is happening next week already! I’ll share photos in a couple of weeks, but the overview is that we’re having a shallow built-in installed on the master bedroom side and new drywall blended into the plaster on the guest room side. We’re also having repair work done to the original baseboards and a strip of crown molding installed in the dining room where it’s missing on one wall. Can’t. Wait. These things have bothered me since we moved in and it’s finally being fixed! (Or, rather, we finally have the money to take care of it because millwork is not cheap.)
We have a fun weekend on deck with a lot of NCAA tournament watching, Portugal planning, and outings with friends. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
- Three easy Campari cocktails.
- A recent study suggests that witty women are less likely to be promoted at work than men who crack jokes.
- It’s Anthro Day, which means 20% off your purchase and free shipping. I’ve had my eye on this blouse and this one.
- Eight tips for growing a garden. (I’m going to try to grow something this year!)
- Is it possible to become a mega-influencer anymore?
- “Last-chance tourism” is only making things worse.
- Have you ever wondered what the best-selling book was the year you were born? Here you go.
- Artist Gésine Hackenberg drills into antique ceramics to transform them into jewelry.
- Eight things you can do to care for the planet.
- Another reason to hate word art.
Finds Under $50:
- A pair of wicker hoop earrings.
- A chic market tote. (I’m definitely ordering this today.)
- A wear-with-everything sandal that comes in eight colors.
- A striped dress that looks perfect for spring.
- A set of Art Deco-inspired cocktail glasses.
image via Unsplash
- Tips for keeping your inbox at zero.
- Glossier Play debuted this week, here’s what’s worth the hype. (I’m curious about the lip lacquer in “blow-up.”)
- This dress might read too much like a ’70s costume in person, but I love the hot pink flowers against the rust background. I’m also into this dress in black, which looks like the perfect throw-on-and-go weekend frock.
- How airport retail is changing.
- Americans traveling to Europe will need a visa for the Schengen Area beginning in 2021. You can sign up here to be notified by email when the form is available online.
- Eyeglasses are marked up nearly 1,000 percent.
- Have you tried wool dryer balls yet? I just ordered these to see if they really do cut down on drying time.
- I made this sheet pan chicken recipe earlier this week and it’s really good! We skipped the cauliflower and added naan on the side.
- Party tips for easy entertaining.
- Dutch artist Berndnaut Smilde creates clouds in unexpected places to photograph.
Finds Under $50:
- A sophisticated knee-length dress that looks more expensive thanks to the knife pleats.
- A midi-length slip dress.
- I saw this top at Target today and its really cute in person! It’s also available in extended sizes.
- My favorite travel dress now comes in green.
- Colorful acetate hoop earrings.
What You May Have Missed:
- I already bought the sneakers in this week’s “The Coveted.”
- Beautiful items under $50 and under $100. There’s even a wood beaded bag for $30!
- Seven of the best design finds at H&M right now.
- On my radar lately.
- A round up of what I bought in February.
image via Unsplash
I don’t always think about H&M when I’m looking for housewares, and that seems to be an oversight on my part. Mixed in with the generic items and those that seem better suited for a college apartment, there are some truly great pieces. It just takes a bit of scouring to find them. Another item I love, but didn’t quite make the top seven cut, is this storage basket. It looks like the perfect solution for storing miscellaneous umbrellas, scarves, and gloves in our entry closet.