Well, the biggest news of the week is that Madison is dealing with an unprecedented rainfall, leading to flooding throughout the county. While we had heavy rain earlier this week here on the east side of town, it was nothing compared to the downpour that clobbered the west side. But we’re not totally in the clear just yet with more rain expected. For those of you unfamiliar with the city, Madison is on an isthmus. The city opened the locks at one lake to allow the water to rise and flow over the isthmus into the other lake. If we get more rain, the city’s east side near the isthmus (including our neighborhood) is potentially threatened. As it stands now, we’re just outside the predicted flood threat by a couple of blocks, but who knows what will happen.
Other than that uplifting update, I’m all about being a homebody lately and continuing to make improvements around the house. This dining room chair arrived the other day and it’s gorgeous (and a knock off of this one). We’ll see how it looks with the table once that arrives before purchasing the other five. Since we had planned for this large purchase and we still have to book our hotel for Seattle, I opened a United credit card. With a $3,000 minimum spend in three months, the bonus was 60,000 miles – enough for a roundtrip ticket to Europe. Combined with the miles I already have accrued, I’ll have enough for a trip to Japan! (Dave isn’t quite there yet, but he’s close!)
And with that, I hope you have a lovely weekend!
- Thirteen psychological thrillers to add to your reading list.
- A modern tiki table setting. (I love that she used a terrarium as a cocktail glass and I’m eyeing up those placemats.)
- If you’re wondering how you’ve lost friends in adulthood, this may be why.
- I’m loving this bag in forest green, largely because of its contrasting acrylic handle.
- Ten home styling tips. (I’m all about that last one.)
- Is online shopping combined with cheap prices turning us into hoarders?
- The pattern of this asymmetrical dress looks gorgeous for late-summer evenings.
- What to do before deciding on a paint color.
- Why you should keep a travel journal. (I use the Day One app on vacations to record what we did.)
- I’m incredibly inspired by Jaclyn Johnson’s home.
Finds Under $50:
- The perfect warm-weather sweater when it’s just a little chilly outside.
- So many good housewares from H&M right now: a wool-blend rug, a small wood cutting board, a throw blanket, the curves on this candlestick holder, and candle holders in a mix of black and brass in a tall and short version.
- An easy drape-front blouse for work to weekend.
- Straw bags are a summer classic. Snag this one for your end-of-summer beach trips or store it for next year. (It’s on sale, so it might not last long!)
- Love the look of acrylic earrings, but don’t want to spend a lot? This Etsy shop has some great options!
Earlier This Week:
- Going sporty in this week’s “The Coveted.”
- Sharing photos of our dining room from when we closed on the house and talking about the plans for decor.
image via Unsplash